- A man, who lost his consciousness was saved by his own Dachshund
- Ben-Gurion Airport: dogs and cats will be checked with the help of an X-ray
- A cat spent twelve days on the 20-meters high palm tree
- The British company hired a lap-dog as a model
- The world's first ice-cream car for dogs
- Woodrow candidate for the Governor of Texas
- Drinking water for pets will soon appear in the British supermarkets
- In Israel the police Labrador named Boydzher was killed, while performing his duty
- Chinese dog had studied the human gait
- 400 000 dollars for a dog's house
- Bullmastiff - General Features, Temperament, Health problems
- Australian Terrier - General Features, Temperament, Health problems
- Cornish Rex general features, temperament, health
- Yorkshire Terrier - General Features, Temperament, Health problems
- Deerhound - General Features, Temperament, Health problems
|Cat and tobacco smoke: there can't be reconciliation|
Does your cat smoke?
Do not be in a hurry to laugh in response to this question! Because if you smoke by yourself or someone from your family is a smoker, your pet is also influenced by this habit.
And if the smoker himself, is getting some pleasure from this process, the same can not be stated about the animal: sometimes cigarette smoke is causing cats a lot of trouble, and in most cases, "resistance" between the cat and cigarettes ends with the complete victory of the last and significant health problems in the animal.
Keeping this in mind, many organizations,for animal protection are fighting for the rights of our cats, trying to direct our attention to this problem, worrying about the health of pets all over the world. While in some countries such care from the side of public organizations is not very active yet, the cat owners should still think about it and realize that cats and cigarettes are completely incompatible!
Why is it dangerous for your cat?
The answer is simple: animals, like many people non-smokers, are harmed by the cigarette smoke, and to be a "passive smoker" for the cat just as hard, as it is for a little child who can not stand for himself! Smoking is injurious to the health of cats, even if you are not using cigarettes, but cigars, pipe or even a water-pipe! It is assumed that Persian cats are more sensitive to the tobacco smoke than other breeds of cats - for them the hazards of smoking are often many times greater than for many other animals!
Exposure to the tobacco smoke and smell is not just unpleasant, it actually causes damage to the animal (often irreversible!). And this was proved by the scientists of Tufts University (Massachusetts, USA), who found that cats, living in the homes of smokers, are twice more likely to:
- be suffering from lymphoma (an incurable disease that kills the cat in one year, without a possibility to be treated by any medications or chemotherapy);
- die from cancer of the lymph nodes (if a cat is living with the smoking owner under one roof for more than 5 years, the risk of such disease triples, and if there are two people smoking in the house, this harms the health of cats four times more!);
- be suffering from tumors of the oral cavity;
- be suffering from breathing difficulties and persistent bronchitis;
- be suffering from asthma in both: acute and chronic form;
- die of heart failure;
- be suffering from the constant nasal discharge and "watery eyes".
If exposure to the tobacco smoke is constant (does not stop for even one day), the hazards of smoking extend to the entire respiratory system of the animal, often causing a very severe diseases. In this case, even the doctors can not immediately understand what is happening and they often are mistakenly trying to treat a cat from some allergy or a fungus, not knowing what is the true reason for the disease. Meanwhile, the cats, who are forced to become a passive smokers, are dying no less frequently than people who have been subjected to the same influence!
Smoking and cats: how to reconcile the irreconcilable?
In general, it is not difficult if you take it as a rule - not to smoke at home! Indeed, in this case it does not matter how often you smoke inside the house, because tobacco smoke tends to settle on all things in your home, as well as on the cat's hair, getting later to the mucous membranes and the lungs of your pet. Think of how often a cat washes and licks herself! All cigarette smoke, that was on the cat's hair, for sure sooner or later will get inside the cat's body, along with huge doses of nicotine and carcinogens, that are affecting the mucous membranes and causing irreversible consequences. And when you consider that the cat is not only licking carcinogens from her hair, but also breathes them when her owner is smoking, the harm for that cat increases at least twice.
Keeping in mind such a catastrophic consequences, in the United States the animal protection organisations are even thinking about how to penalize those who smoke in the presence of pets (particularly cats), and for whom cats and cigarettes - are still quite compatible things. The main reason for the fines in this case would be - cruelty to animals. Of course, not always the defenders of animals can prove that the owners really abused their pet, but for someone who really loves his cat, the evidences are not even required. It should be easy to think how pleasant it is to be around a smoker, and how hard it is to inhale the smoke for those who do not smoke themselves, and you'll see: smoking and cats can not peacefully coexist. After all, you are trying not to smoke around children and other family members? Then for you it is more than clear, that the cat, who often is a full member of the family, is badly effected by your habit and in many cases because of the cigarette smoke, she is in a great danger?